Wednesday, February 26, 2020

My Arrival

Bang in the middle of the century, on the stroke of midnight, as the moon rose above the African bush, my mother shrieked in agonized panic, raised her knees and parted her thighs, and began to expel me from her womb. I had been perfectly content where I was and would have preferred to remain there, but the rules and regulations governing obstetric procedure decreed otherwise. On entering the world I opened my eyes and gasped in horror. For a brief instant my life lay before me, and in that instant I understood the impossibility of ever going back. I let out an anguished bellow of rage. And just to confirm that the clock was already ticking, Mrs Hildagonda De Groot, housekeeper cum midwife, slapped my face, held me up by my ankles, shook me, and then hacked through my umbilical cord with a meat cleaver.

(Adapted from The Life of Henry Fuckit.)

To view my longer work as an author, including The Life of Henry Fuckit, you can find me on Smashwords here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Shot

  In my early twenties I went on a mission to take a drink in every bar in Cape Town. Not because I was particularly thirsty, but because I ...