Monday, July 12, 2021

Memory Project: My Photograph


In this framed photograph of me I look to be about two years old. There were similarly sized pictures of Alan and Jean, and the three of us were hung in the lounge, first at 931 Grey Street in Gwelo, and then at 93 Berg Road., Fish Hoek.

As a boy Alan hated beetroot. One day my father noticed that I was looking a little flushed, even though I had been shot in black and white. Puzzled, he rose from the table for a closer inspection. When he lifted the frame away from the wall two slices of pickled beetroot fell to the floor. The pink stain faded over the years and now there is virtually no trace of my brother’s misdemeanour.

My mother said I was crying in front of the camera, which would explain the way my eyes are shining. I have never liked the look of that snivelling child.

To view my longer work as an author, you can find me on Smashwords here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Shot

  In my early twenties I went on a mission to take a drink in every bar in Cape Town. Not because I was particularly thirsty, but because I ...