Friday, March 18, 2022

Crumbling Infrastructure

While I was building, I learned a few things about reinforced concrete. Eventually, depending on proximity to the sea and thickness of concrete cover, the steel will begin to corrode. As it does so, it expands and cracks the surrounding concrete, allowing more moisture to penetrate and speed up the process.

To slow the corrosion and extend the life of the structure, the rusting steel should be hacked free of surrounding concrete, wire brushed and painted or sprayed with a rust retardant. After closing up with cement and sand plaster, the outer surface of the building should be sealed with a waterproof paint or membrane. In this way the life of a structure can be extended for several years before it becomes unsafe and has to be demolished.

As has been widely demonstrated in South Africa, neglecting to maintain infrastructure leads to the inability to provide basic services to communities.




To view my longer work as an author, you can find me on Smashwords here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Shot

  In my early twenties I went on a mission to take a drink in every bar in Cape Town. Not because I was particularly thirsty, but because I ...